Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Electric fans

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bkrhoades, Apr 12, 2009.

1. bkrhoades

bkrhoades New Member

My last new p-u was a 2003 silverado. I noticed on my 09 that it has electric cooling fans. When did they change over to the e-fans?

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Less strain on the engine, better cooling and gives more power and MPG

3. blansho

blansho New Member

i tried to change the electric fans from a 2006 silverado but the radiator of the 2006 is larger

4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

why not try the hole radiator?

btw i think it was 06 the did the electric fans, could be an explanation why the re-did the grill and hood?

5. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

They change to dual electric fans when they came out with the new modle in 2007. It give better hp and better mpg. And probably is less expensive to pu in.

6. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

no they didn't, my truck has dual electric fans and it came that way from the factory

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's been up for debate for some time whether it really gives more power and mpg. While it does take the strain off the crank, it's adding it back on in the form of additional load on the alternator, which then has t pull more power from the crank. However, Collinsperformance wrote a GREAT write-up on how to convert over to a Ford Taurus fan, which moves the most air than any other factory or aftermarket fan available. Here's the link to his write-up: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6800