1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electric leak on chevy avalanche 2007 and Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by Gatito, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Gatito

Gatito New Member

My brother in law seem to have an electric leak on his avalanche 5.3 2007 and for five times he was unable to start his truck because the battery was dead.
    It is like if one system continue to run after he stop the truck and drain the battery completely.
    Does someone have the same problem with his avalanche or tahoe 5.3 2007?
    Bye
  2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I am not sure what could be causing the concern. Have you brought it to the attention of your local dealer? I would also be willing to look into this for you with the last eight of the VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  3. Gatito

Gatito New Member

It is not my truck. It is my brother-in-law truck and he spoke to his gm service center.
    He is supposed to come back with the vin and i will send it to you.
    Thanks for the answer.
  4. Gatito

Gatito New Member

As i said in the precedent post, he spoke many times to his dealer, they said that they could make tests to find the cause of the problem, but at 100$ for an hour, and not be sure to find something, he passed away. He changed the battery a few weeks ago because it was almost 5 years old. Here is the vin of the truck
    3GNFK12377G118383.
    Bye
  5. Ct1458

Ct1458 New Member

I have the same problem with my 08. Even when it was under warranty the dealership said they found nothing. It gets really bad in cold weather if I don't drive it every other day. I barely hit 40k miles
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It sounds like you have a parasitic drain (a very fast one). I had one and had to take it to a shop that specializes in finding these ever elusive demons that run around your electrical system and drain your battery. Mine stemmed from an after-market stereo install in which the piece that bridges the trucks electrical system to the stereo (i.e turn signal and warning chimes, On-Star etc.) was bad. I took it back to the shop that installed my stereo and they replaced the part for free. They told me that the model connection device I had was known for issue and the manufacturer fixed it on the next version they came out with.

Not sure if that could be your issue (my battery lasted about 5 days without starting, so probably not) but it may help point you in the right direction....

Good Luck!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The best way (may be the only way) to find a drain is to use a meter.

Something is not going to "sleep". It may be lights, it might be a module.

Connect a meter in series with the battery (+ or - side), note the current reading. after 20 minutes, everything should be in sleep mode. If the current reading is above 250 mil amps, start pulling fuses. Pull one at a time, replacing it before pulling the next one. when the current reading drops off, you have found the circuit with the problem.

Them you need to solve the "problem". But, come back here, we can help.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Old Post Hope he fixed it.. If not let us know..
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yeah, the thread is old but Ct1458 bumped it with a specific issue of his/hers a couple of days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

For me, I did try that and so did my mechanic. I wish my problem would have been that easy to solve. Unfortunately, the drain didn't register on my multi-meter nor my mechanics, nor Pep Boys who installed a battery, nor Best Buy who installed that module. That's why I say that mine was a freakin' demon running around my electrical system because no one could find it, yet my battery kept dying. It was driving me nuts.

The electrical shop I took it too actually used something other than a basic multi-meter (I guess a little more sensitive) to find the problem but it still took them 3 hours. And like Giatito stated above, it was expensive....I was charged about $90/hour. However, since I only drive my truck a few times a month, it was worth having it fixed as I kept having to either keep it on a charger or jumping it....and both became a pain in the you know what.
  10. Gatito

Gatito New Member

Its fun to see that it is not only the brother il law who has problem, His dealer was unable to fix the trouble.And he did have the trouble a few times since my last post. To no avail, ans they say im he is alone to have this trouble. He is supposed to change the truch in a few time...