1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electric leak on chevy avalanche 2007 and Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by Gatito, Oct 28, 2011.

1. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The module I had that was bad, didn't have constant drain, but came in
    in bursts for a few minutes at a time. That's why a standard multimeter didn't work for any of us. We popped out the fuse, looked for an immediate change, and when nothing registered, we quickly moved to the next fuse. Nobody held the multimeter on a circuit for more than a second or two.

The tester the electrical shop used actually monitored each circuit over time and identified any changes. Even with that, it still took a tech 3 hours to find my problem. It may be worth it to bite the money bullet one day and have a shop that specializes in these issues take a look. Because they have the right equipment and that's all they do, the shop I took my truck too is where many shops/garages sub-contract their customer's electrical problems to.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That's the key, find a shop that other shops use and you'll save money. Talk to the service guy (who writes the work orders) at the local GM dealer, they might point you in the right direction.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It took a long time to get there, as the pulling the fuse and testing solution works in most cases. But when you start running out of options and think you're going crazy....call in reinforcements and go to the experts :glasses:
  4. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Great advice.parasitic drain most likely cause. yes it can be a "demon" coming and going unseen, leaving all scratching their heads. couple things i'd like to add though. many times even professional techs focus on the "nightmare" and skip right by the basics. for instance, first question should have been how old is the battery. after 3 yrs old, any battery is suspect. note in a subsequent post he said he replaced it be cause it was 5 yrs old. so always start with the basics lest you create a maze that compounds the problem. also charging system test which includes one of the most overlooked items, BATTERY CABLES. batteries cannot take a proper charge or provide proper output if their bad or connection is dirty. visual inspection is not good enough. they do corrode inside unseen. test by voltage dropping them. back to parasitic drain, in my experience, 1/4v could be simply radio memory. it would take a long time to drain a good battery. of course length of time depends on amperage capacity of battery. and as noted ALWAYS SUSPECT ADD-ON's.