electrical issue??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by GReddy212, Apr 4, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. GReddy212

GReddy212 New Member

Alright guys, Last night before work i stopped at the store, i got back in my truck and started out of the parking lot and i noticed my clock was reset... thought wierd but ok. Then I was on my way home from work this morning. Driving bout 65mph.. out of no where my dash lights flickered a few times, the red airbag light started flashing and i believe my music cut out although i dont remember for sure. I was listening to a cd. anyways a few seconds later everything was normal i got home and shut the truck off and everything went out including the radio when it should stay on til i open the door.. i then turned the key back on and the radio clock was reset and it preceeded to try to read the disc, i then turned the key to start the truck and nothing happened. tried three times and still nothing. I waited a minute for the cd to load, it sounded like it was changing between disc, when it was finished i switched to the radio and powered it off. Then the truck started fine. Any ideas?

08 silverado 5.3L Z71 extended cab.. multi disc cd player. I also checked my battery.. terminals are clean and tight. and my guage reads plenty of volts.

Thanks
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Any work been done to the truck lately? Engine, aftermarket accessories, or anything mechanical? If not first place to start is at the battery. Check your base voltage with the key off after turning on the headlights for 30 seconds to remove the surface charge. After you turn off the headlights you must have at least 12.4 volts. If that's OK then check your charging voltage with a meter. Make sure you're not overcharging. Check for codes. Sure sounds like a bad ground somewhere.
  3. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member 100 Posts

Let the dealership figure it out. That is what a warranty is for.
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Even though the battery terminals looked good, it still sounds like something loose. Check the other end of the battery cables. Make sure there are no cuts or breaks in the cables anywhere.