Electrical issues w/Trailer

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by pikefisher, Apr 4, 2013.

1. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

have a 2005 1500 4wd but don't have power to the trailer tail lights at the plug I looked at both fuzz boxes I have power on every thing else what am I missing?
  2. donyms

donyms New Member

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses: I am sure someone will be along soon that can help you with this issue. Upload some pics when you can.
  3. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

No power on trailer plug for running lights.

I am new, but great site:Any way I have no running lights at my trailer plug I have looked at both fuzz boxes what am I missing?
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Welcome to the site.

Add your vehicle info, to narrow down who knows most about your era truck.
    Look for a break or corrosion in the wiring harness from the plug back to the truck. What part of the truck depends on the year and size.

Good luck,
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Welcome to the Club!!

I moved your thread to the correct section and changed the title to match your topic. This will help you in getting more responses/ideas.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Is this a 7-spade plug? If so, check the connection behind the 7-spade outlet. Sometimes it comes loose. If it isn't loose, remove the connection plug and make sure all of the pins are properly seated, as it's easy to bend the pins when replacing the connection cap and that could be the problem. Last, while inspecting/checking this stuff make sure the terminals (both on the connection side and on the 7-spade connector side) are clean and free of corrosion.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Good advise [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]. if that doe not cure the problem, recheck the fuses. I don't have a wiring diagram for the '05, but most of the time the trailer circuits are separately fused so a trailer short does not kill the truck lights.
  8. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

Thanks for the tips ,I did find a 30amp fuse bad but still no luck on a fix the lights on one trailer worked and on the boat it did not, what did Charlie Brown say ahhhhhhhhhhh. But the fuse picture did help and I'll look more tomorrow.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Ok, if one trailer works and one does not....the problem is not at the truck.

The trailer that does not work has a problem with the running lights, check bulbs, wiring and the ground.
  10. pikefisher

pikefisher New Member

Update: I found a 30 amp. and a 15 amp. blown because their was a wire touching the travel trailer Thanks all for the help, the fuse pictures did help a lot.