Electrical issues with 1998 Chevy Silverado k1500

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by JimfromTN, Jul 12, 2010.

1. JimfromTN

JimfromTN New Member

I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab K1500 with the 5.7 vortec engine. Just recently the winshield wipers stopped working. In order to get them to work, I have to turn them on and then give the wiper a yank and they will start working. Does this sound like a wiper motor issue? The reason I figured out to yank on them to get them to work was I could hear the motor wining.

Yestarday, I turned on my lights and the dash lights did not come on. I played around with the dimmer and it had no effect. Could this be a fuse?

It has not happenned recently, but I have been driving down the road with the A/C on and then all of a sudden it turns off and then a second or 2 later it turns back on.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Have you checked your ground wires.

3. Topdogdad1

Topdogdad1 New Member

you may want to check the grounding of your fuse panels. But also make sure you do a thorough check of your wiring harness from the battery all the way into the truck and up above your feet at the pedals to make sure it hasn't been damaged in anyway. As far as the wiper modor, they run somewhat like a gear and teeth operation. The mother has the gear with teeth meshing together with the actual wiper arm. you may need new motor gear or wiper arms. JUNKYARD buddy, heavy snow and rain will have a damaging effect on those things over time obviously. Your dash lights could be a loose harness, check connections. A/C could be another grounding issue, just take the time to check things over before wasting money to take it somewhere to get diagnosed, i promise you'll be pissed if its something simple you overlooked and pay for it.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I second checking out the grounds etc.. But it does sound like the circut board in the wiper motor may be done for. It was a common problem on our body style trucks.

5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had issues witht the Wipers not wanting to work...

Turned out to be the Wiper Switch in the steering column.

Dash lights and Head lights are run from the same switch assembly.

I also had some problems there, changed out the switch, no more problems.

A/C issue could be any number of things.

Blower Motor Resister is a common failure part.

There is also a compressor clutch switch that can get worn out over time.

Just my .02ยข, for what it's worth...