1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Electrical issues

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by hdrtahoe, Jan 21, 2014.

1. hdrtahoe

hdrtahoe New Member

I have a 97 tahoe. truck was running fine and cut off. replaced fuel pump relay. pump was working. changed nuetral safety switch. noticed wire in harness broke on frame rail. repaired damage. now new issue. truck starts fine but when you turn on lights truck stalls out. unplugged multifunction switch. turn on lites truck keeps running but air bag lite comes on. with headlite switch off headlites on very dim. could this be the ecm. is there any way to check? any help would be appreciated. thanx one more thing when checking the fuel pump we connected 12v to pump but pump was still connected to harness but only long enough to hear pump run

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think you have some dirty grounds on the truck causing the alternator to struggle to pump power to electrical systems. Check the engine and chassie grounds aw well as clean terminals on the battery. If that doesnt help find the dash and head light grounds and see if they are dirty./corroded.

3. hdrtahoe

hdrtahoe New Member

Sorry i didnt get back to you but we had a snowstorm here an I got a lil busy. Havent been able to check grounds yet but when I started truck this morning I noticied that if I turn the lights on the a/c compressor comes on. Strange. As long as I dont use lites or turn signals the truck runs perfect. But I will try to check the grounds today and get back to you.