1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electrical power "slip" problem on 95 burb [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Just recently I have noticed that the electrical power on my burb seems to "blink" occasionally. This has happened about 10 times over the last month, it seems like the electrical system flickers like just before a power outage. The stereo reboots, dash lights blink, doesn't kill the engine or anything and the battery doesn't seem to have any problems, it always starts ok.

Anybody have any thoughts?
  2. jack77

jack77 Member

RE: Electrical power "slip" problem on 95 burb

Does this problem occur when you have a high electrical load (radio, wipers, lights, rear defrost etc all on at the same time)? The first place I would check would be any and all groound straps from the engine to the frame and the body to the frame. it kinda sounds like there are too many electrons trying to get back to the battery on the same ground path. The straps on the right side of the engine compartment, near the A/C accumulator and exhaust manifold have a habit of breaking because of the exhaust heat.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've had something like this happen before, it was a bad battery ground cable. I replaced it and all was good for me.
  4. MN_Burbon

I have a new battery to put in, the old one died today. Maybe that will make a difference.
  5. jack77

jack77 Member

The battery could very well be the problem. The alternator supplies current flow when engine rpm is high enough and also charges the battery. When you are at idle the alt cant keep up and some of the current is drawn from the battery. if the battery is weak, this will cause the symptoms you described.
  6. MN_Burbon

New battery installed this last weekend, Optima Extreme Yellow top. So Far that particular problem has not reoccured, still fighting the timing problem at stop lights
  7. MN_Burbon

This issue seems to have been fixed with the new battery. Course now it doesn't matter as much as I bought the newer truck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.