1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

electrical problem 2004 colorado

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by gdsampson, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gdsampson

gdsampson New Member

I have been having problems with just the driving (parking) light socket on the passengers side. it seems to work fine for a while then it gets hot and either blows the bulb or just doesn't work any more. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I would look close to where the heat is being generated. High resistance in electrical circuits causes heat, which in turn causes even higher resistance & even more heat. This can be a loose connection, loose bulb in the socket, loose wire connection, corroded socket, anything that is not tight or clean. I would look for your problem close to where the heat is.
  3. gdsampson

gdsampson New Member

is there a way to tell if there is a short in the wire or if the ground is bad?
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

If there was a short to ground in the power wire, it would blow the fuse. If the ground wire is loose or corroded then yes this could cause it, same with the power wire. Any loose connection, or corrosion in power or ground wires will cause high resistance & heat.
  5. gdsampson

gdsampson New Member

thank you. hopefully this will fix the problem
  6. marine59

marine59 Member

gd i have the same problem with blowing bulbs, esp on rt rear normally turn signal bulb, i found i had a cracked lense so i cleaned it and used some good silicone caulking ( clear ) and cailked the crack, replace the socket, ( the socket was getting moisture in it esp. during automatic car washes ) make sure you put electrical grease in all sockets when installing new bulbs this will make better connections and keep any water out, please note the crack can be real slight good luck ken ( marine 59 )