1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nuxoll17, Nov 13, 2012.

1. nuxoll17

nuxoll17 New Member

I have a 2003 2500hd and today I was called out to the parking lot because my truck was on fire.... It wasn't on fire but there was a distinct electrical burning smell. It was coming from a module on the passenger side wheel well. There is 3 of them, and one was burning from the inside. What are these to? If you need a picture I can get you one. Thanks for the help.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Need a pic it sounds like a relay overheated or was overloaded. Do you have any after market lights or other electrical equipment?
  3. nuxoll17

nuxoll17 New Member

There is a trailer brake controller but that's it. Pic is coming
  4. Conlan Rose

What engine, tranny and drive do you have ie 4x4 or 2wd?
  5. nuxoll17

nuxoll17 New Member

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

This is the solenoid that started to fry, it's a 6.0, 4x4. There are 2 others just like it

- - - Updated - - -

It's a stock tranny, 4L80E?
  6. Conlan Rose

Cab and box size? Sorry for all the questions I'm looking up the diagram.
  7. nuxoll17

nuxoll17 New Member

This is how it sits regularly

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

4 door, standard bed
  8. Conlan Rose

That definitely doesn't look very factory, but those are the aux relays for provisional lamps and accessories.It is also the location of where the second battery would be.

- - - Updated - - -

wiring-harness-accessory-power-supply-tc0271701.png wiring-harness-auxiliary-tc0269901.png wiring-harness-roof-marker-lamp-tc0265802.png
    What factory light do you have?
  9. nuxoll17

nuxoll17 New Member

Thanks a lot, that helps out, prolly all the electrical for the trailer brake
  10. Conlan Rose

It might be, do you have the roof marker lamps? Because I feel those are more likely to cause a problem or a short. If not I'd plug your trailer in and test you lights with some one watching under the ood as you test them. Also you can use a multimeter to test the voltage. It looks like you truck is wired for roof lamps, emergency lights, maybe wrecker and aux power supply.