Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by '90_400, Dec 2, 2008.

1. '90_400

'90_400 New Member

Hey, I'm new here and I have a 1990 GMC 1500..I just put a BRAND NEW battery in it, as well as a new starter..and here is the problem..when turning the key to the on position it only shows 9v, when I turn the right turn signal on it will go up to about 11v, when i go to crank it, it completely dies and my headlights are on, even tho the swtich is off. but if i go to jump start it it will show 14v crank over twice and die..I was thinking a possible short? or??..but I dont know where to start. ANY imput would be GREAT..

-Ryan

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Can you get the truck running at all? Have you checked the alternator?

3. Steban

Steban Rockstar

check all your grounds. any loose correction will give you a false reading

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

check you battery terminals too!

5. '90_400

'90_400 New Member

Well I found out what it was, and it was something stupid, it was the Neg. wire off the battery, I had already cleaned it good and had it tight or so i thought but the bolt was to long and tightend down but the cable didn't, so I checked it again and made sure it was clean and used a shorter bolt and works GREAT now:great:...I was losing my mind trying to figure it out because I had already done it before but I'm glad thats all it was..thanks for the replys and help

-Ryan

6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome o the site! Glad it was something simple.

7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welome to the site! :sign0016:

8. Steban

Steban Rockstar

glad you got your problem fixed. always check the simpliest things first.

9. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Good investigating. A++, Job well done.:sign0173:

10. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yeah for future reference when you tighten the cables down properly you should be able to grab the cable and try to move it from side to side and it should not easily move if at all. could have just as easily been something complicated like a really hard to find short. Glad it was something easy and simple for you , count your blessings, this was one of them for sure.