Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bldawson89, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bldawson89

bldawson89 New Member

I have an 02 Suburban Z-71 with about 180k miles. Recently, it is not wanting to start properly. It will have all the lights on and be ready to go then I turn the key and everything goes dead, like I just disconnected the battery. After about 15 to 30 seconds, it will reset, the lights will come on and it may fire up or it may go dead again. Sometimes when it starts, it will be only half-hearted and then dies shortly thereafter. I will just turn it off and try again and again until I get a proper ignition fire then it's ok....til the next time. Also, the lights (interior, dash, and exterior) pulse as well, I assume this is because of the same issue. Any suggestions? Voltage regulator or some sort of relay?

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My first thought with those symptoms is a loose battery cable or other source of a bad connection between the battery and the cable.

3. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The battery could also have a bad cell in it. That would make it intermittent. Put a volt meter on the battery and see what you get as it starts and while it is running.

:neutral:

4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Hope you can find whats wrong soon! Good luck!

5. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!

6. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

7. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

welcome to the site , well check maybe the there is short on cable ,, tail laight cable ,,, interrior light,, and cable and check the main cable for the battery ? may be the belt that connect to the elec generatore

8. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

I had something similar to this happen to me. Not on this truck but another one. I would start and it wold run but as soo as i turned the lights on it would die on me. It ended up being a loose connection. Not at the battery terminal but to the fuse block. The connection got corroded and only a few of the wire strands were still in tact. So the electrician said it was enough to handle the power of the vehicle running but the moment i put any other load on it i.e. the head lights it was too much power for the few starnds to handle and it would just die out on me. Check your power connectors make sure none of them got tweaked or corroded.

9. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor

Welcome to the site, you might get more answers if you post this in a different section.

Chevy Truck Parts

10. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub!