Electrical problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Quietflight72, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Quietflight72

Quietflight72 New Member

My truck started and nothing electrical worked( radio ,windows, a/c).

2. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

We're definitely gonna need more specifics!!! Year, model, what mods or parts have been changed lately, etc....

3. Quietflight72

Quietflight72 New Member

Sorry. It's a 1985 gmc Sierra with a 350 vortec small block. I just bought it. I was having a problem with flickering (headlights, dash lights radio) so I figured out my engine wasn't grounded to the frame. It's worked fine for a couple weeks. Now this. Thanks !

4. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

I would start by checking grounds. You mentioned it's a vortec so it isn't the original motor, how long hs the motor been in the truck? There are most likely a few wires that couldn't be retrofitted into the '85 that may be causing some of this!

5. Quietflight72

Quietflight72 New Member

Not sure how long. Not too long. I notice the wire I used had a little burnt spot on the wire coating. I'm going to get a heavier wire. It's worked perfect since I grounded it. What about fuses?

6. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

Yea fuses and relays could cause this....just go through all of the fuses and check them.

7. Quietflight72

Quietflight72 New Member

Thank you for all of your help.

8. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 Member

Yea man if that doesn't fix it just let me know.....one of us guys on here can help you figure it out!

9. Quietflight72

Quietflight72 New Member

Cool. Do u think that wire that I used might have been the cause? I guess anythings possible

10. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Be careful using heavier wire. If there is a short you could damage components instead of just burning a wire. That's like replacing a 5A fuse with a 10A because you keep blowing the 5A. Not usually a good idea.
    Also, make sure the wire you replaced was not actually supposed to be a piece of fuseable link. Replacing that with a piece of wire is bad.