electrical problems need help

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by silver89aldo, Jul 31, 2009.

1. silver89aldo

silver89aldo New Member

I just bought 89 1500 truck and idont have any taillights or turn sigs need help ? also put a new brake light switch on it but it wants to move with the pedal so my brake lights stay on. is there something that is suposed to keep it from moving? thanks any help

2. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

So far as the lights not working, check the bulbs first. Be sure they are the correct bulbs.

Then in your owner's manual will be fuse information. Check the associated fuses.
    How to check fuses...
    http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Test_Fuse.htm

Then if those not the problem, check the electrical connector for the tail lights under the rear center of the rear bumper area. Sometimes there can be a bad connection there or add-on trailer wiring can be a problem. If you are getting power there, check your tail light printed circuit boards.

If the problem is prior to the rear bumper connector, you would probably need a GM Factory Service Manual set which you can order from helminc.com or a GM dealer. This would have complete wiring diagrams and troubleshooting instructions.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do the front marker lights and turn signals work? If they do, that makes it quite a bit easier. As suggested, check the connector at the back bumper. You can use a test light to see if the wiring is good up to that point.

4. silver89aldo

silver89aldo New Member

the front lights work if the hazard lights are on.could the switch be bad? what holds the brake light switch in place it moves with the pedal so the brake lights stay on?

5. bill190

So far as the switches being bad, anything can be the source of the problem, you need to test with a multimeter to find the problem.

As to the brake switch, I've never replaced one on your style vehicle, so I'm no help!

The factory manual probably would not be much help either. Many times with things like this they will just say "Replace the brake switch"! And that is it!

This is a discussion of replacing a brake switch. I don't know if it is like yours or not...
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/222616/

Then also you may be able to go to a wrecking yard. There may be a vehicle similar to yours there with the steering column pulled out. Then you might be able to see better how the brake switch is attached.

Also might try looking at it with a flashlight and mirror. Or do that at the wrecking yard. See how other switches are attached.

It also might help if you can get some sort of cot or strong boxes the height of the truck floor and place them next to the driver's door and lay on these so you can be more comfortable laying on your back looking up at the brake switch.

6. silver89aldo

silver89aldo New Member

well i think i found one problem I put a test light in the sockets and got juice.but Ithink its the strat of many. thanks Bill I think that site is what I needed . Going to chevy dealer monday for diagrams would it be ok to post them ? may help some one else someday.I also found some ground wires unhooked? I am thinking I bought someones headacke but I will get it fixed one day,thats what i like fixing things lol.

7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here's a diagram.

Attached Files:

8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you want a PDF so you can see it better send me your address and I'll send it to you.

9. bill190

Well it says Copyright General Motors on my GM manuals, so that is why I don't post copies. Also some troubleshooting sections can be 80 pages long like the fuel system section for my 92. I'm certainly not going to copy all that! But I will tell people where they can get the information.

It doesn't matter to me what anyone else does.

BTW older Factory Service Manual sets will have maybe 3 or 4 books to the complete set. My 82 has general service manual, electrical diagrams, fuel and emissions (all the engine, fuel, and engine electrical/computer stuff), and a unit repair manual.

And I have a newer 99 set which totals 6000 pages over 4 books.