Electrical short?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tmahan319, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tmahan319

tmahan319 New Member

I have a 95 K2500 with a 454. I had a catastrophic alternator failure today. Long story short broke two of the fan blades off of the alternator shot one into the blades into the hood and stuck in the insulation and actually dented the hood, then actually had flames coming out of the alternator when I came to a stop. I bought a new one and put it in. Then I keept blowing the ecm b fuse. (fuse before the relay on the fuel pump, the constant power too it and the computer.) So I backtracked and found that the wire going from the battrie to the fuse box had some burning on it. Replaced that wire started up fine and died. Blew the same fuse. The delema I am having now aside from getting it home from my sisters house, is I have a skid plate on the gas tank and could not get to the plug on the fuel pum to check to see if it was a short in the pump or in the wiring. Now I also have a bad body ground that I am going to replace before I even attempt to go to the fuel pump. I was just wondering If anybody had ever had anything similar. If I have to get into the wiring I where should I start? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tabor

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You probably had a voltage spike that shorted out the wire.. Also the wiring for the fuel pump is notoriously weak.. So it could be just the Fuel pump harness...

3. tmahan319

tmahan319 New Member

Found the short last night was on the wires going to the oil pressure switch.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Glad you found.. Everything good to go now??