Electrical Vampire drain on a brand new battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mjsummers, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mjsummers

mjsummers New Member

I recently purchased a new battery for my 94 Suburban 1500 after discovering that the last one was installed 3-4 years ago. Since the install of the new battery, I have had to plug the battery into a battery charger so I can turnover the engine, while I am waiting for the transmission parts to arrive. Has anyone seen something similar to what I am experiencing?

BTW - fog lamps are installed but they don't work for some reason. will worry about the fog lamps later unless they are the culprit for the issue that I am seeing.

tbone006 likes this.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Something is drawing current and killing the battery.

The best way to track it, is to use a multi-meter on a current scale. Disconnect one side (use the ground, safer) of the battery and insert the meter between the battery and the cable. check the reading to see what the current draw is, start removing fuses.

Remove the fuses one at a time............reinsert the fuse before pulling the next one.

When the current draw falls off to zero, or very close, you have the circuit that is causing the problem.

3. e-coast

e-coast New Member

I had the same thing happen on my 97 awhile back, did what RayVoy mentioned, found the radio was pulling an amp.

Word of caution, remove your meter before opening the door, yank the fuse, shut the door, then check. Opening the door with your meter inline with the battery might draw enough to blow a fuse in your meter from interior lights.

If its your radio, and you don't want to chase the problem (like me), here's a Y-tube link to a cheap solution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhvXr0jpfms
    Good luck.

4. mjsummers

mjsummers New Member

Issue went away when I had the transmission swapped

tbone006 likes this.
  5. e-coast

e-coast New Member

That's good, I would have never guessed that to be the problem. My main problem was my radio (as per my previous thread), and I've kept it at bay since. The thing is when these trucks get old, there's little electrical leaks that develop.
    Rather than chase down every little farting thing, I wired my two batteries to a small quick disconnect plug in the grill.

I keep a little maintenance charger in my shed, with an extension plug. Drilled a 1" hole about a foot from the bottom of my shed for the plug to run out to my truck. I tacked roof shingle over the hole to keep any water out. Works great, keeps my $400 worth of batteries in tip top shape, especially in the winter. Keep in mind, this is a secondary vehicle I use for going to the dump or moving my boat once in awhile.

tbone006 likes this.
  6. tbone006

tbone006 New Member

HOLY CR@P !! I just purchased a 94 Burb K1 Silverado about 3wks ago and i have the same darn issue. I have looked in the engine compartment looking for any "extra" wires coming off battery an nothing !?!?! The battery LOOKS brand new, but there is no dates on it at all. The only thing not stock on it is the Electrical Trailer brake installed. But i unplugged the main unit under the dash. Still drains completely over night? I WILL definitely let you know as soon as i am able to resolve my issue. Good Luck !!!

7. tbone006

tbone006 New Member

Did the Shop that replaced your trans say anything about what might have been the issue???

8. mjsummers

mjsummers New Member

No they didnt, but I may be adding enough electronics to the cab to warrant adding another alternator, with a deep cycle battery connected for the purpose of the electronics

9. scarbro2008

scarbro2008 New Member

The Oil Pressure Switch can drain the battery in about 3hrs if it shorts internally.
    This is the OIL Pressure Switch. Not the Oil Pressure Sensor/Sender !
    The Oil Pressure Switch DOES NOT go through the fuse box.
    It uses a fuseable link connection from the Alternator Battery output post.
    You can remove the connector from the Oil Pressure switch easily to verify the problem
    is the switch with a Volt meter. The voltage will stop dropping.
    The switch is generally at the point on the engine block nearest the
    oil pump.
    The 454 ci Oil Pressure switch is about 1-1/4" diameter and about 2-1/2" tall.
    You will need a special socket (Parts stores may have a loaner tool) to remove it.
    Most sockets are not deep enough.
    The Oil Pressure switch keeps the engine from starting if it does not get oil pressure during the first
    couple of seconds when starting.
    Ignition/Engine off - switch OPEN. Ignition/Engine on - switch CLOSED.

I could actually see the battery voltage drop with my volt meter during my troubleshooting.
    If yours does not drop that fast then it may be another area causing the problem.