Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Electrical Work.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I will be buying the diodes very soon. Still trying to figure out how to hook up my aux trailer power :neutral:

2. Conlan Rose

How do you trace where a wire goes. I need to know so I can find where my brake controller and aux power lead go to. Neither are on any wiring diagram I own for my truck. I really wanna get these set up. I may not be trailering that often, but I want to know I'm ready any time. Any one have a diagram even if it is a early 2000's.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This link may save you some time: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Chevy/tech/Prodigy/

As for tracing a wire, what you do is turn the truck off, disconnect all power, connect an ohm meter to one end of the starting point of your investigation and to the other end of your investigation you connect a wire that leads back to your ohm meter. If the wire you are investigating provides a path back to where you've connected your ohm meter then the meter reading will drop from infinity to a low reading. If it doesn't then you've either investigated the wrong wire OR the wire you were investigating is bad (i.e. severed).

Note: An ohm meter is preferred over a continuity tester, since continuity testers typically limit out at a maximum resistance and the combined run in the test circuit you've built (with the wire you used) could exceed the max resistance of the continuity tester.

4. Conlan Rose

Lord is that gonna be a pain going from the front of the truck to the back. Luckily I have a multimeter that does ohms. I know how to install everything(which is a little different from your link) I just need the leads for installing. If I cant find the location of the leads I will just run my own wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

I found some info on another truck site saying the wire lead to just under the brake booster. I will have to investigate.

5. SurrealOne

Ya, the 90's vehicles are probably slightly different. The concepts should still be sound, though ... i.e. a fused positive 12v wire (which you may need to connect) and a blue wire that runs from your 7-spade connector to somewhere into the engine compartment. I believe trucks that came with the towing package should have both wires present...

6. Conlan Rose

It does and they are attached to the trailer harness. That's the annoying part I need to find them on the front of the truck. The post I found on another site was about a 96 truck with the trailering package like mine. Some one earlier in this thread said his truck already had a terminal on the aux power lead on the truck and it was easy to find right by the fuse box:no:. I will try to find it if the temp goes up this weekend.

7. SurrealOne

My 12v wire was under the under-hook fuse box and needed to be connected to stud #2 in my truck. My blue wire was inside one one of the black wire looms leading into my under-hood fuse box.

8. Conlan Rose

Mine is most likely near there too just yet to be found.

Btw can the primary fuse box not getting enough power cause problems. I'm just wondering because my primary power lead is falling apart, the wire that is.

9. SurrealOne

Absolutely - fix that.

10. Conlan Rose

The parts are already in the mail and will be in on the 2nd. KnuKonceptz Kolossus Flex Kable 4 Gauge Power Wire Red is what I ordered. It should work great :smile: Also got the lugs. It will be good practice for doing the 1/0 gauge cables.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012