1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electrical Work.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I haven't worked on the truck yet because of snow. I am now very unhappy that you can't replace the bulbs in the 4wd switch. Every thing in my truck lights up like it should minus the 4wd back lights. Any who was a fun day in the snow a little fish tailing and some sliding but it worked out.
  2. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

I have never heard of using diodes on American vehicles. On a MGB they are everywhere!
  3. Conlan Rose

That is because most american cars don't use many relays. I have used several relays in expanding my electrical system. In reality every car with an alternator has a diode.
  4. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Yes, they are in the alternator. But as far as I know (and that's not much) no where else. But the English (as in Lucas Electric) They use them anywhere there's a back feed of juice.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I've done the diode mod to my headlight relays such that my fogs and low beams stay on when my highs are on. I added 3 diodes to do this. I'll be adding one more diode when I do my rear work light install (which will be activated by either the reverse circuit or the cab switch I'll install). I might add another diode when I install my twin 10" LED light bars up front -- if I tie them to my high beams. (I'm undecided on that, yet, as it might be asking for trouble...)
  6. Conlan Rose

I will be doing the same diode set up as [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] for my back up light. I just need to buy the parts and find a warmer day for install. And learn to solder... I will also be doing the Lows one with Highs but my set up will be a little different because the OBS trucks don't have relays for each function of the headlights.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

I do my work outside the garage (since my truck won't fit in it) at the family lake house ... where it's usually pretty windy. It's been wet and cold with 20-ish mph winds, lately -- so my install is on hold, too.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. Conlan Rose

Darn weather getting in the way of installs. Currently there is 4" of snow on the ground and the truck is surrounded by a sheet of ice.

- - - Updated - - -

The 1/0 AWG cables came in today.
  9. Conlan Rose

While fixing a loose hose under the hood I took some pics around the fuse box.
    2013-01-02_16-32-02_970.jpg 2013-01-02_16-32-09_37.jpg 2013-01-02_16-32-12_882.jpg 2013-01-02_16-32-21_662.jpg 2013-01-02_16-32-36_764.jpg 2013-01-02_16-33-51_45.jpg 2013-01-02_16-34-01_591.jpg 2013-01-02_16-33-54_65b.JPG
    There is a connector in the wire loom but I don't know what it is for.

2013-01-02_16-34-11_128.jpg
    Here is my power wire that is falling apart.

Attached Files:

10. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Conlan,

Look at your first photo in the post above. See the two studs on the right side of the photo? One (the lower one in the photo) has a wire going to it covered with corrugated loom. That should be the power wire to your 7-way trailer connector. It's powered through one of the large, green 30a fuses.