Electrical Work.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Conlan Rose, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, I do not have a heated garage at my CT house, but I do in VT. Only problem is we rarely bring Tahoe to VT. Since the snow last weekend it has be very dry and very cold, 11.7 this morning.

2. Conlan Rose

You were right the wires were directly under the brake booster connected to a bracket using a wire clip. I just today attached the aux power to the fuse box and ran the blue to the cab. I will post pics once I upload them.

3. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good to hear. Been busy here, but I poke my head in every now and then.

Good luck.

4. Conlan Rose

Does any one have a pin out for the brake switch on our trucks? I need to splice in the the cold side of the brake switch but I don't know which wire it is.

5. KidHauler

@Conlon Rose Ah, dude - the picture on page 4?

6. Conlan Rose

Mine doesn't have pins in that location and I don't know why... So I need to tap in to the cold side of the stop switch.

7. KidHauler

Huh? Well, you could run a test light around the harness. I'll look around and see what I can find.

I found this, but I can't verify it.

{A few years ago I found these instructions when I was wiring up a Prodigy brake controller for my 1996 Tahoe. The instructions for the '96 Tahoe worked, but I can not vouch for the 1997 instructions. At the time I copied them to a MS Word file and I don't remember where on the internet I found them. Hope it helps.
    ------------------------
    Specific Wiring Instructions for GM Tow Vehicles

1995-1996 All GM Tow Vehicles: The brake control's RED (stoplight) wire splices into a specific WHITE wire on a 10-pin connector. This connector is located to the left of the steering column. It is coming from the main loom of wires going into the instrument panel. The connector is WHITE and is wrapped with gray foam tape; it will have two WHITE wires exiting the connector. The correct wire is the WHITE wire located in corner (F position) of the connector. Splicing into this specific wire will eliminate any problems with electrical circuits associated with ABS or the cruise control. }

Good luck, I'll keep looking...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  8. Conlan Rose

Thanks for that info at least thats a start :smile: I'll keep looking as well incase I also find something because this info is very important to others who own this generation of truck.

I need to tap in to this for 2 reasons, one for the obvious the brake controler and second to use as the trigger for my light bar project's center light because I need a brake only feed.

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The switch should only have 2 terminals, one is always hot and the other is switched. A 12v meter should tell which is which.

10. Conlan Rose

It has 6... not sure why. I think it is to detect how far down the petal is. Notice the rod in the picture below. Very odd in my opinion. Right now I'm in Wilkes Barre, PA for a campus visit at PSU Wilkes Barre so I can't look at the truck until tomorrow.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013