1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electronic 4wd shift conversion for 1994 K2500 Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Manta22, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Manta22

Manta22 New Member

Been reading the History of the Suburban and noticed in 1995 electronic 4wd shift was added. Has anyone looked at converting a 1992-1994 K-series from the floor shifter to electronic? If so, how hard was it? How well did it work?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would imagine that it would be pretty expensive. I believe that yo would have to purchase a different transfer case. (one with the encoder motor the front) After that you would have to purchase the switch. I am sure wiring it would not be all that hard considering that that year did not use the BCM for the t-case. The only issue that you may have is somehow using some sort of speed sensor so that the t-case would not engage in 4 low while you were doing 70mph on the freeway and accidentally hit the button. I don't know that it would be worth it.
    Why are considering switching? many people feel as if the floor shift in much more reliable.