Electronic brake controllers [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 98sub, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 98sub

98sub New Member

Does anybody have experience installing thier on electronic trailer brake controller? especially on a 98 Sub. How do I locate the brake wire under the dash.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Not on anything that new. Someone might have a schematic or diagram on here, maybe. ?

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have installed all of my own brake controllers. I have the schematic, but I'm at work right now. I'll post the link either later tonight, or tomorrow. Does your 'burban have cruise?

Actually...are you refering to your brake switch wire? or the Brake feed that goes to the trailer connector (typically blue about 10ga)?

4. 98sub

98sub New Member

Electronic brake controllers

I just pruchased a Tekonsha, Prodigy unit. There isn't an OEM harness to plug in under the dash. I must drill through firewall & hard wire. I am looking for the brake pedal switch wire (cold side). This will signal the controller when braking. Thanks.

5. TrailLeadr

I'm having trouble getting the schematics online. What I can tell you is that the cold side of the brake switch is the white wire. According to the schematic, and the hot side is Orange. Let me know if you need any more assistance. I will try again to get the schematic online for you.

6. 98sub

98sub New Member

Hey, thanks Patrick. That sounds right because the yard man at the trailer rental place said the same thing. I am kind of anal and needed to get some confirmation. I really am greatful.

We rent a trailer for our summer vacations. Adventure Rentals in Ontario, CA requires an electronic braking system on their larger trailers. So it looks like I am all set to install the Prodigy.

Thanks again,
    Kent.

7. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey 98sub, give us a report when you get it finished, I need to do that drill myself. It'd be nice to hear from somebody that has actually done it recently on a similar vehivle. BTW what was the rough cost of that Prodigy system?

8. TrailLeadr

No problem, glad I could help.

I never drilled a hole for the wiring. I punched small hole into a rubber body plug in the firewall, and fed my wiring through there. Saved a whole bunch of trouble, no drilling, no silicone, and is water tight. :D Less risk of the wire coating rubbing on the bare metal, and eventually shorting out.

9. Taggart

Taggart Member

Should be able to get the Prodigy for anywhere from $90 to $130. Shop around.

10. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Whenever unsure just use a test light. One side of the brake is always live, ignition on or not. Just ground the test light on any good ground and push the point into the plug ends.
    Test light is still the handiest tool in the tool box, even with all this new computer crap. You will never go wrong if you have a spare test light in the glove box, it can be handy for so many things. From testing for a bad fuse to just makeing sure you have juice to a marker light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.