Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Eletrical ground work

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by jsmith4816, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I was thinking about adding a few more grounds to my truck. Is it just a matter of splicing and adding another connection or is it more complex than that?

2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

not even splicing, just hooking up thicker wire to either the same locations or alternate locations

3. jsmith4816

So basically cut the end, add a thicker gauge wire, then reattach? Thanks for the help

4. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hello:

First, what are you trying to modify? Do you want extra grounding for amplifiers in the cab? If so, you can ADD an extra, larger gauge ground cable by using a GM style side mount screw with an extension on the back to accommodate extra ring terminals, and you can (after crimp fitting ring terminals on both ends) run the cable from the ground to the rear of the truck by the area where the amplifiers are located, bolt it to the frame, and on the other side of that bolt (other side of the frame) hook another cable of same gauge up to the floor and bolt that to the floor with a bolt long enough to fasten your grounds from the amplifiers. Or drill a hole in the floor big enough for a Monster or other water proof grommet for a large gauge cable, and terminate the ground to a post or distribution block where you will place all your amplifier grounds.

If you are trying to get a better ground for electrical system in general, the above to the frame will work, and/or you can remove the existing cable (terminal and all, don't cut it) and replace it with a larger gauge cable and terminate at the block like the old one, and put a second cable to the frame as well. You can buy your GM side mount terminals to crimp on the cable at NAPA. You need to buy a special crimp tool that is used with a large hammer, preferably on the anvil portion of your bench vise.

I have the set up above on my truck. I am also going to replace the ground cable to the block. I am using 1/0 gauge cable for the block ground, and the other ground is either 4 or 2 gauge cable.

I am also using the top posts for extra cables by using marine terminals on them.

5. jsmith4816

Here's the scoop. I had it load tested a few weeks back and they said my alt was bad, so i replaced it. I had it load tested because whenever I would used my accessories (wipes, blinker, brakes, etc), my volts would drop to around 9. When I would continue driving, it would only go to around 11. I have a new battery (6 months). I replaced Alt. and the battery cable going to the engine block and wire wheeled where it grounds out. I am thinking I have a/or many bad other grounds.

I just want to improve the connections to the frame because it being a 94 and living all its life in Michigan, I would assume some/most are rusted.

The original post
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/110911-Electrical-issue

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

... I should also do this...
    i over rev-ed my truck last week and the gauges freaked out. i would turn on the blinker, the light, the fan and the whole dash had a seizer.
    i turned on the cruise control and it didn't seem to know if it was coming or going.

it took me resetting the computer to get it right again.
    so yeah... good grounds would help the ECU distribute voltage and absorb loads better....