1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Emerg brake binding

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Jul 26, 2014.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

I replaced the one side, took all day and the other side wob't fit, can't get the rotor on. I have ajusted the brake to the min. and still does not fit. Any ideas would be welcome..Thanks...Eric

2003 Tahoe LT Z55 Z71
  2. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

Are the brake shoes off center?

Bill
  3. BIGREDDADDY53

No not that I noticed, I was thinking that maybe I have the wrong size rear rotors
  4. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

pleas clarify, are the rear brakes drum or disc ? It sounds like you have drum brakes, but unsure. If you are talking about drum brakes, you may have been sold the wrong shoes for your truck. You need to match the old shoes to the new shoes to be sure the size is correct. Many trucks have 2 different shoes for the same year truck, depending on what option is on the truck. One size is a little larger than the other.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. BIGREDDADDY53

Rear Disc brakes with a horse shoe emg. brake that I can't seem to get installed, as they won't line up.............Thanks, Eric
  6. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

Ok got you. So its the e-brake that you cant get back into place. I'm sure you have checked the e-brake cable to make sure it is not binding ? Maybe these video will help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo1RnATyEok
  7. BIGREDDADDY53

I seen that first one before and I did the same thing, had the horseshoe installed the same way but I had my daughter boyfriend replace the brake backing plate and I'm just wondering if that's why the rotor won't go back on. It looks to be installed right with the cable hooked up right. I tried this three times and it just keeps getting harder. Thanks for the help, Eric
  8. BIGREDDADDY53

I just thought of something, are there different sizes back brake plates? and could this be the reason why the rotor doesn't fit back on when the parking brake is installed? Any ideas would be helpful.......Thanks, Eric
  9. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

I would check the installation again. Both sides should be the same. Are you sure that the setting is to minimum? Is the piece that goes against the shoe installed properly into the adjuster body, and the shoe is in the slots on both sides? I had this problem, too. And it was just the shoe not properly in the slots. I regreased the adjuster stuff with high temp grease. too.
    Other than that, maybe the drum is worn to a point that there is a lip that has to be overcome for the drum to go back on. If that is the case, one may have to do some machining to get the drum back on. But make sure the drum is still in specification, does not need to be replaced. This seems to be rare though??
  10. BIGREDDADDY53

Well I tried to install the parking brakes yesterday but you were right, the rotors were had built up a lot of rust on the inside. I tried to grind the rust off but I think I have to have them turned or go with new one's. They have never been turned so if they take enough off then they should fit (God Willing). I just have to find a shop within walking distance to get these done. Just started raining but should be ok next week. I will let you know. Thank's again for the help......Eric