1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

emergency brake [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by pntbllrules53, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 New Member

last night i went to go out and i took off the emergency brake (i live on a hill) and now i can't put the emergency brake on. when i press down on it, the brake release handle moves towards me. what can i do to fix it?
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Crawl under the dash and look to see if the release lever is stuck, I’ve had that happen before. Sometimes all you have to do is push the lever back in,
  3. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 New Member

ok, ill look at it tomorrow. i hope its something simple like that.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I think that happened to me before too, years ago. Some WD-40 was all that it took.
  5. ChevyFan

How big of a hill are we talking about?
  6. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 New Member

its about 20 degree hill, where do i spray the WD-40?
  7. ChevyFan

Good question. Maybe I'm confusing vehicles. Is the release level stucK?
  8. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 New Member

no. when i press down on the brake lever to put the brake on, the brake release comes out. and the lever doesnt ever go one notch, it won't work.
  9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Get under there and look at all the pivot points, where the release lever hooks and slides. lube it all. Check the gears that rachet when you push the pedal down, make sure they are not broken. Check to make sure the release lever is doing its job.
  10. pntbllrules53

pntbllrules53 New Member

ok, the problem was a little lever underneath. it somehow poped under a bar when it was soppost to be above it. all i had to do was lift it up and it was fixed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.