Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Emergency brake pedal "pop" and stuck to the floor

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by msvx95, Feb 12, 2012.

1. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

This happened a few weeks ago, but as I was pushing the pedal to the floor...I heard a thud and the pedal went to the floor. I couldn't release the brake from the lever and the cable was still ok, didn't break.
    The only way I could bring the pedal back up was to pull the release lever with one hand and lift the pedal with my other hand, then bungee cord the pedal in the up position.

What broke, a spring possibly? I don't know what the assembly looks like and I didn't see anything visually different when I looked under the dash near the pedal assembly.
  2. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

What returns your e brake to the up position is the springs on the cables right on the backing plate (drums), or dust shield (rotors). So I will assume your e brake dosen't work anymore. Your cables run down the left side of the truck on the outside of the frame. Right around where the bed and cab meet, they split, and one goes to the right rear and the other goes to the left rear. One of your cables or both could be frozen and it pulled the cable out of the assembly or where the cables split the splitter bracket could of pulled out. Hope this helps good luck.
  3. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

hmmm I will have to look at that to see..I thought it would be something by the pedal, but that makes sense it's along the frame.