1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Emergency help I can't get Duramax started!

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by StuckonGM, Feb 26, 2013.

1. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

My wife borrowed the 2006 Silverado Duramax 2500 last night. She got in and it started like normal and stalled. Now it wont start. I can crank it for ever and nothing. Last summer it wouldn't start like this and I found it was the fuel filter needed changing. It has fuel but its low between 1/8 and 1/4 tank. I know there is an ATF leak, I was going to take care of that this weekend (I think its a hose near the radiator). Will a OBDII tell me anything? I'm going drive out to the truck and try it. The only other thing I can think of is the truck is parked on a incline - not very steep but still an incline. Is the there a low oil or ATF sensor that will keep the truck from starting?

Please help!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know about the allison trans so I can not tell you if there is a low ATF sensor. the obdII will tell you something if there is a code stored.
  3. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

I just came back from checking the truck. ATF level is good, motor oil was a little low. Fuel gage shows near 1/4 tank (front end a little higher but there should be fuel.

I connected the OBDII sensor/reader - nothing! I'm completely stu
    mped! I wasn't sure but is this the right forum for this question
    Meaning on this Forum
  4. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Diesel engines are very easy to diagnose. It runs on compression and fuel. No spark.

I don't think your diesel engine will lose compression unless you heard a knock, see oil on the ground or see lots of smoke.
    Put in a few gallons of diesel fuel in the tank.
    I would start with air in fuel lines. Have you tried priming the fuel lines/filter?
  5. gdmyersparts

gdmyersparts New Member

The atf wont be a problem... Just a guess for a common problem is the fuel system is not priming properly... possibly an air leak. There is a plastic screw/bolt on the oil filter housing that is a common fail and easy fix. May be a good place to check...
  6. StuckonGM

StuckonGM New Member

Thanks Bazar01 and gdmeyersparts,

I unscrewed the plug at the bottom of the fuel filter (a little dropped out) then I pumped the primer. It started almost right away. The message center says I have 63% life left of the filter so I didn't think about that. I guess I'll have to change out the plug in the filter base?
  7. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I think there is nothing wrong with the plug, just make sure it seals properly with no trace of fuel leakage.
    I grew up in a country where I drove and tinker with diesel cars and suv. Isn't it that you pump it up first then you open the bleeder to let the air out, close bleeder, pump it up, open bleeder and do it a couple of times until solid stream of fuel comes out?
    Maybe fuel level in tank was low allowing pump to suck air?
  8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

first is the fuel should be above the 1/4 mark at all times. second the front being higher than rear causes the fuel to move toward the rear of the fuel tank AWAY from the pump.

If you continue to operate with low fuel the filters will get plugged up and the pump will fail. 2006 vehicle you are going to have a pump failure soon if you replace filter when the fuel is not getting to the engine.