Emergency trans problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mrcheek, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mrcheek

mrcheek New Member

Driving to work, stopped at stop sign, loud clunk when on gas, no pull. Found a hose hanging, looks like vac hose from top of tranny pan, can't find fitting to connect. Please help can't afford a mechanic or tow. 50 miles from home!!! I have an '02 Denali

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure what the hose is but a vacuum hose would not cause this problem. Try 4 low if you're is a 4X4. If it's a 2WD then you broke it!

Jim

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cant help you out but that would be odd a front wheel drive denali

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. mrcheek

mrcheek New Member

Thanks for the replies. I read a lot of threads yesterday looking for some help & apparently I'm looking at the vent hose which I believe should be open at the tail end. I have AWD. There's high pitch grinding noise when trying to shift out of "P" and into any gear incl "N", but no engagement. Also when shifted to park, it can be pushed. Had someone more experienced look at it and said he heard shifting under the noise, just not meshing. Probably something in the T-case but it might be costly.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you hear it shifting then something let loose in the transfer case. It will be expensive so get some estimates.

6. mrcheek

mrcheek New Member

Would a OBD scan help localize the problem here? I'm looking at $20-$30 for a bearing, $300 for the motor, and $1300 for the entire T-case.

7. johnmeade2

johnmeade2 New Member

I just replaced the tranny in my truck, and both of them had a hose hanging from it, I do believe that it should just hang there, iI don't know of any vacuum hoses on a tranny.is the hose coming from the top?

8. k.daddy1

k.daddy1 Rockstar 100 Posts

That hose is a vent hose and is usually attached to a clip at the tail end of the tranny. It should have a plastic tip plug in the end of it. The Tcase don't usually go bad, best tell tale is drop the pan, I believe you'll find chunks especially since it won't engage into park. The gear cluster in the tail end of the tranny probably let loose.

9. mrcheek

mrcheek New Member

The vent hose is "not" plugged at the tail.