Encoder motor sensor ring on the outside???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ScubaSteve65, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

I have a 99 Sub k1500. Assume a bad encoder motor sensor(submerged). Mechanic told me 327 code. I have an NP8 t-case. Current shift motor looks like a Cardone48-105 (numbers on the exterior match)
    (1) Is the sensor on the outside behind that plastic cover? (2) Can I replace just the sensor? (3) What part number is just the sensor? Trying to avoid removing the drive shaft. Thanks
    encodercardone48105.JPG

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! To be honest I don't have an answer to your question. I have heard of guys pulling them off and taking them apart, cleaning them and then reinstalling them. The few guys that did it said that it worked after that. I would guess that if you can not find the sensor for sale alone at a dealer then it is not replaceable. If that is the case and you are going to have to buy a new one then I would attempt to clean it, what would you lose other than some time? I am sure someone will come along soon and have more definite answers for you.

3. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

Time is what I don't have. I would've joined GMTC earlier but I drove a '78 c10 250 3-on-the-tree forever. Not much help needed changing oil and replacing the occasional brake light bulb. I miss it now. Worked on my mower more than that truck.
    Anyway, I see the Cardone48-105 reman for about $160-$180 so somebody has to know what sensor is going in there. Is there any risk of removing the outer plastic casing? Maybe a can get a look at the sensor. I just don't have any extra time to be tinkering. Would love to know the answer and have it on hand when I do find the time.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that the sensor # is 88962315 for the NP8. I would look under it and verify that it does not have an external sensor, apparently some of the early 99's did. I sent you a PM

5. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

That ain't it. NP8 Transfer Case. M30 Transmission (Automatic 4 speed,4L60E) 99 K1500 Suburban but the encoder is a Cardone PN 48-105, The equivalent of GM 12474401. Don't know why it's not listed. Can't find that darn sensor part number.