1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Encoder motor sensor ring on the outside???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ScubaSteve65, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

I have a 99 Sub k1500. Assume a bad encoder motor sensor(submerged). Mechanic told me 327 code. I have an NP8 t-case. Current shift motor looks like a Cardone48-105 (numbers on the exterior match)
    (1) Is the sensor on the outside behind that plastic cover? (2) Can I replace just the sensor? (3) What part number is just the sensor? Trying to avoid removing the drive shaft. Thanks
    encodercardone48105.JPG
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! To be honest I don't have an answer to your question. I have heard of guys pulling them off and taking them apart, cleaning them and then reinstalling them. The few guys that did it said that it worked after that. I would guess that if you can not find the sensor for sale alone at a dealer then it is not replaceable. If that is the case and you are going to have to buy a new one then I would attempt to clean it, what would you lose other than some time? I am sure someone will come along soon and have more definite answers for you.
  3. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

Time is what I don't have. I would've joined GMTC earlier but I drove a '78 c10 250 3-on-the-tree forever. Not much help needed changing oil and replacing the occasional brake light bulb. I miss it now. Worked on my mower more than that truck.
    Anyway, I see the Cardone48-105 reman for about $160-$180 so somebody has to know what sensor is going in there. Is there any risk of removing the outer plastic casing? Maybe a can get a look at the sensor. I just don't have any extra time to be tinkering. Would love to know the answer and have it on hand when I do find the time.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that the sensor # is 88962315 for the NP8. I would look under it and verify that it does not have an external sensor, apparently some of the early 99's did. I sent you a PM
  5. ScubaSteve65

ScubaSteve65 New Member

That ain't it. NP8 Transfer Case. M30 Transmission (Automatic 4 speed,4L60E) 99 K1500 Suburban but the encoder is a Cardone PN 48-105, The equivalent of GM 12474401. Don't know why it's not listed. Can't find that darn sensor part number.