1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine and tranny swapp

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by press, Feb 28, 2009.

1. press

press New Member

Hello,

Does any one now if it is possible to pull the engine and tranny from my van and swap it for a engine and tranny from a "vette" or camaro from the same year and engine size. I allready now if i wanna even get the engine to fit in place i would have to cut out the upper part of the firewall above the enigine about 4"(10cm) due to the higher intakemanifold and plastic plate mounted on top of the engine, it is the 350cu. engine i got now in the van.
    thx,
    press
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Swap the engine and trans and swap the intake manifolds.
  3. press

press New Member

What do you mean by swap the intake manifolds? Use the intake from the original engine? I'm affraid that is not an option cuz from what i heard overhere is that it is the manifold's bad design causing so low power on the engine.And another piont is that i'm planning to make side windows in the enginetunnel so you can see the engine for show purposes.
  4. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

i gotta say im not a real van person but i am curious to see some pics when its done
  5. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not really clear on what you are doing. Are you pulling a 350 engine out of your van and putting one in out of a vette? If so the intakes are different.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The manifold is only part of the performance problem, and it isnt specifically a bad design as it was designed to cure emmissions and space issues.
    The engine you want to install should have the roller valve train and slightly higher compression which will be a big performance gain in itself even without the factory manifold.
    Have you thought of using an aftermarket intake? Theres many available for that engine.
    If your set on using the factory intake how about a custom hood scoop to enclose it.
    Google for "1970's Vans" you may or may not be aware the US had a huge following of custom vans back in the 70's, if it was done to or in a van it was done over here at that time.
  7. press

press New Member

Yes thats what i mean. just use the complete engine of a vette. i now about the higher intakes so thats why i need to notch out the firewall about 4" to make the needed extra space.
  8. press

press New Member

Hi tbplus, thx for the reply.
    I now there are many aftermarket parts available for my engine but there are 2 returning issues for this type of van.
    -first of all, it doesnt mather witch aftermarket intake you get. there is always the room above the enigine problem. even if you try to use an throtlle body spacer (like i have)you have to start cutting your heatshield blanket on your engine tunnel to fit.
    -second is the pricing overhere: it maybe sound weird but lets say that a complete aftermarket intake kit costs about 3500$ if i get it here most shops will charge anything between 4500€ and 5500€(7000$)
    and for that price or a bit more i can get a complete engine and computer.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try making friends with someone stationed over there thats in the US Military. They can order online and have parts delivered to their duty station and avoid all kinds of nasty taxes, customs, and import fee's.
    As for cutting that wont be solved easy, thats why I recommended looking at some older vans, I know the body style was different but it might give you some ideas, engine swaps were popular on those old vans and I remember seeing a few of the more radical ones with GMC 671 blowers sticking through hood, cowl, and bottom part of the windshield.
  10. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

You may end up like this guy....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmm5cw0DqE"]YouTube - Drag Race - Chevy Camaro vs. Dodge Caravan[/ame]