Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

engine code po449

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by detailjohn, Jun 20, 2009.

1. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

MY 06 GMC 4.8L has this code and can not clear it. The truck seems fine...

This code popped up when I tried to mix E85 in the tank.

I even disconnected the neg terminal on the battery and still would not clear...

:neutral:

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This code can set if you leave the cap loose or a bad cap can do it too. Did you overfill the tank? Overfilling the tank can saturate the EVAP canister and set the code. This is a type A hard code so disconnecting the battery wont clear it. Try driving it around for a while and let it go through it's drive cycle. If it won't clear itself you may have a bad vent solenoid or canister. Remember overfilling your tank can ruin EVAP system parts.

1 person likes this.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I learned something else valuable today, Jimmie you are full of awesome information! My dad used to yell at me about letting the truck go too empty, to the point where I would burn up fuel pumps and other components. I finally stopped doing that, but now I have a habit of over filling my truck! Thanks for the tip, I guess I am going to have to find a happy medium. I hate EVAP stuff.:grrrrrr:

4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

are you sure it is a flex fuel truck? im pretty sure these truck wern't e85 compatible.

5. Tunnelmotor99

Tunnelmotor99 Rockstar

Ummm...the 4.8 is not made to run E85. I think either the 5.3 or 5.7 is flex fuel and will run it.

6. detailjohn

300.00 LATER replaced the stupid Evap filter solenoid.. Mechanic showed me the part and on my truck its mounted on the frame rail WHERE IT COLLECTS DIRTY AND CRAP FROM THE ROAD! Solenoid wan't working.

:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr: GM your pushing it..... Toyota is looking better and better.

7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Glad you found the problem. This solenoid was replaced under warranty on my truck when the previous owner had it.

8. detailjohn

i only had 3/36k warranty, of course 07 get 100k warranty...

9. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

Sorry to beat this to death, but I've been on different forums searching to resolve my P0449 code....I've gotten all sorts of part #'s that are AC Delco, yet none of these #'s are either valid, nor are they available....what gives ???:neutral:

10. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Rockstar

I winged it and went with AC Delco part # 214-2149, got some heater hose and a couple of clamps, put it on the truck, after the third trip, check engine light went off:party:.....I've had people tell me that this part may not fit my truck being it is Flex Fuel, thank God it worked, got the part from Rock Auto, $27 including shipping