Engine dies while driving

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by RangerJ, Jul 15, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. RangerJ

RangerJ Member

1994 Z-71 350 4x4 auto with 51,000 original miles. This truck has died twice in the past one and a half years while driving, it always restarts after a few minutes. The truck runs good and has no other issues. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

As far as I know there isn't a crank position sensor or cam position sensor on a '94.
  3. RangerJ

RangerJ Member

Greg,you are right.I talked to the local dealer and was told no way to tell w/o bringing it to them.That's probably the right answer, but i cannot afford the $77.50 diagnostic fee plus $99.00 per hour for the repair plus parts.So I need some info that maybe I could check myself.Thanks
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump or wiring to me.. Id check that.. Also is the CEL on?? I know that in Atlanta you have emmission testing but in outlying areas no.. So if it is on you may want to pull the codes. Also when was the last time it had a tune up including the Fuel filter etc??
  5. cobra2end

cobra2end New Member 100 Posts

Sounds like the problem my parents had with there 99 1 ton. I had to replace the ICM. and now it has not had any problems staying running. I did a tuneup on it and took the ICM into the parts store here to have them test it and come to find out it was bad. I dont know if the 94 would have this or not but if it does worth a shot to see .
  6. RangerJ

RangerJ Member

Thanks for the replies,Sorry I have not been on here in a while.It's deer season here.LOL.I have not had any issue since I posted last.Hope it stays this way.
  7. IT-Guy

IT-Guy New Member

I had this same issue and it was very intermittent on my 96 Z71. After running down and replacing several fuses, wiring and so on it ended up being a very loose ground from the battery to the interior side panel of the engine bay.

I got a new bolt and new ground cable and have not had another problem. May not be your problem, but cheap enough to def be worth a look.
  8. RangerJ

RangerJ Member

Thanks IT-Guy,I Will look at that.
  9. IT-Guy

IT-Guy New Member

YW! let us know what you eventually find. ;)
  10. RangerJ

RangerJ Member

I will let you know what I find when I have time to look.