1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Durability while dealing with Adverse Gravitational Forces?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TexasChris, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TexasChris

TexasChris Member

Lets say, hypothetically of course, that you rolled your truck over. Mildly and gently, lets also say your truck sat that way with all four legs in the air for about 14 hours. Lets also say that hypothetically, before you were even settled on the roof you already had it in park and had killed the engine. Lets also say that it did leak all it's oil out of the oil filler cap while it was upside down.

If you got your truck home, what would you need to check or do aside from putting more hypothetical oil in your hypothetically now right side up truck, before starting it?

TIA.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Pull the plugs,check the tranny fluid, otherwise a good once over the whole truck and add oil, put the plugs back in (or replace if covered in oil) and let her rip,
  3. TexasChris

TexasChris Member

Thanks....we'll see what we get.
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Haha hypothetically right?
  5. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

How did it hypothetically roll over?
  6. TexasChris

TexasChris Member

100% hypothetically.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Clockwise and with style.....well....if it had happened...that's how it would have....I'm sure you understand.

May be some hypothetical pics posted in a few days.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  7. 05azsilver

05azsilver Rockstar 100 Posts

Hypothetically of course, how would a truck, not running and in park, roll over?
  8. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Hmmmm, interesting scene, however it happens. I would add that while the plugs are OUT to be SURE to turn the engine over a few times to expell any oil that may have leaked past the rings. You know, all those things about liquids not being compressable and all. It also occurs to me if the battery has lost any of it water (acid) you would want to hose off the engine compartment.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah,I second the "crank it a bit with the plugs out"
    Just in case some hypothetical oil or gas or whatever decided to fill the cylinders.

This hypothetical truck should run just fine as long as it has adequate oil, trans fluid and coolant.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Clean her up, top off the oil, pull the plugs and turn her over a few revolutions, check the trans fluid.
    Dont forget to check the air filter in case any of that hypothetical oil got in there while she was hypothetically upside down.
    I've done the same thing a time or two, from experience I can tell you if the engines still running when you go over you still have about 15-20 seconds to shut things down before you do damage.