1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by vanimal, Jan 17, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. vanimal

vanimal New Member

I'm not superior at diagnosing problems, but I know the basics. My '97 Sierra took a crap today, unless my wishful thinking is true. Driving down the highway, the oil pressure dropped to 0 psi, engine shutdown and I pulled over. I opened the hood and it smelled of oil pretty bad. There was some oil burning off of the valve cover. The engine will not turn over and seems to be seized. My guess is either the oil pump failed or a head gasket blew possibly. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated, even if the news is I need a new engine.

Thanks in advance.
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What causes the loss of oil pressure

Head gaskets usually aren't the primary cause of an oil pressure failure.
    The usual suspects in a loss of oil pressure are: (not in any order and probably not a complete list)
    (Assumes oil pressure gauge is working properly)

Failure of the oil filter
    Failure of the oil pump
    Failure of the distributor gear or shaft
    Failure of the oil pressure switch
    Failure of the oil gallery, ie; crank, rods, push rod(s)
    Failure of the oil filter bypass
    Failure of the timing chain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. vanimal

vanimal New Member

Ok, maybe this may help in eliminating some causes; I looked underneath the truck and there is no oil dripping from the bottom.
  4. timsilverado

timsilverado New Member

Hate to ask, but it always helps to check the absolute basics. Oil level, metal looking flakes in oil or other contaminants. Hole in the block. Try turning motor with socket and breaker bar on crank pulley. Take starter out, try turning flywheel/motor that way. If oil pressure is lost, fuel pump will shut off.
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member 100 Posts

Do you have oil in it that would be helpful, and locked up is a bad sign.IT could have been low and just cooked,Or a mechanical faliure in pump but if its locked that won't matter now