1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Knock - Not Piston Slap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by fargo_182, May 9, 2010.

1. fargo_182

fargo_182 New Member

Hey everyone.

I have a 2003 silverado 4.8l 2WD
    Has 300,000km - so about 180,000miles

Just recently started it up and it has this noise, like rocks bouncing around in a tin can.
    First I thought it was a rock in the heat shield of the CAT, but then I got a check engine light now. It is coming more so from under the engine somewhere, rather then the top of the hood.

The piston slap I know of, and goes away after a few minutes. This sound on cold dtart is loud, but gets slightly quieter as I drive, and it warms up? But is still noticeable?

Enging runs fine, I have all power still. Good oil pressure at 275kpa, Nothing that is different with the engine except this rock noise.
  2. rustyk2

rustyk2 New Member 100 Posts

Is the knocking coming from the top end of the engine, or deeper in the engine? If its top end, could be in the valve train. If its deeper, it could be cam bearings. I'm assuming you would know crank bearings when they go, knocking does not quiet down or go away. Just something to check.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

What code did u get when the check engine light came on?
  4. fargo_182

fargo_182 New Member

It's coming from deeper in the engine. It still runs fine though? I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before it blows now....

I gotta go get a code reader today to check it.
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

well maybe something minor comes up on the code scanner but i cant think of anything minor that would cause knock like that.
  6. fargo_182

fargo_182 New Member

The code is P0420

Does piston slap sound anything even like what I'm hearing?

It almost sounds like it is in the exhaust near the headers. You know where two cats are. it sounds like a baffle or whatever in there is busted?

I remember my old car doin this with a brand new cat, and it was inside? what you all think.