GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Engine Knock Sensor help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2003-5.3-V8, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 2003-5.3-V8

2003-5.3-V8 New Member

i have a 2003 silverado 1500 5.3l and i need to replace the knock sensors under the intake manifold. i would like to replace them my self and get to know my truck a little better.
    What parts do i need to get like gaskets wires knock sensors etc...
    is there a website with instructions on how to remove the intake manifold and replace the sensors?
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member

Autozone has some repair info online. I bought a full factory service manual on CD ROM from Ebay for about $15. That's the only way to go, in my opinion. That way, you'll always have the info you need.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  3. 2003-5.3-V8

2003-5.3-V8 New Member

Thanks Revredneck!
  4. RedneckRucker16

RedneckRucker16 New Member

At least an intake gasket, depending on the mileage id get a throttle body gasket while ur at it. There not that difficult to replace just time consuming but in my opinion theres no better way to learn than by doing it yourself! you shouldnt need any wires unless you find some bad ones once you pull the intake. Good luck!
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Get some automotive silicone, after you install the new sensors run a bead of silicone around the sensors rubber gasket to build a dam around the sensor so water won't run in.