1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine light after replacing head gaskets??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 04silverado4.8, Sep 27, 2010.

1. 04silverado4.8

04silverado4.8 New Member

i just replaced my head gaskets on my truck and now my engine light is on and the engine sounds a bit sluggish...i put everything back the way i took it out and i cant figure out why its doing this??? any help is appreciated..thanks.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will want to have the codes pulled for the check engine light. that honestly is the best place to start and takes all of the guessing out of it. I dont know how they handle auto parts in germany (like we have large auto parts store chains here) but if you can go to an auto parts store and they have an On Board Diagnostics 2 (once again not to sure what germany calls certain things) scanner then you can pull the codes and go from there.
  3. 04silverado4.8

i appreciate the response murdog...i found out what was wrong when i took a closer look :( i put everything together at night...so when i rechecked everything in the day, i found that i forgot to pug in my driver side harness to the coils...so she was running on 4 cylinders...i felt really stupid for overlooking that small thing...hope this might help someone else though..lol...thanks.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Boy, do I get that. It is 5x harder to do work at night!
    Were you doing head gaskets(huge nasty job), or intake manifold gaskets(nasty but not so huge)?
    Charlie
  5. 04silverado4.8

both..lol..replaced everything from the heads up pretty much...and a few others..head gaskets, intake gaskets, vavle cover gaskets, thermostat, fuel injector o-rings ( upper and lowers)..just to name a few :)