1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Engine Noise? 2005 Chevy Trailblazer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Hllywd, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hllywd

Hllywd New Member

My 05` Trailblazer has started to make a, powersteering noise. Sounds like fluid is low, but fluid is at proper level and no leaks seen. A friend suggested maybe idler pully?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Also check the belt tension and you might try applying "Belt Dressing" to the belt sometimes this will cure the squeeling.

3. Hllywd

Hllywd New Member

Belt does not see to be making noise. She has about 70,000 on her, wifes car driven properly.

4. Chevyfan's Dad

Chevyfan's Dad New Member Gold Member

My '05 Trailblazer was making a lot of noise when I first started it up. Like you I suspected the power steering pump, but it was not leaking and was full. I took it to a trusted shop and the first thing they did was replace the belt. That took care of some of the noise, but not all. Then they replaced the water pump. That got rid of most of the noise. There is still a little noise for about 1 minute after starting, which is apparently the fan clutch. Total cost was just over $400.

I had to have the thermostat replaced about 6 months before the noise really got bad. I do not know if one affected the other. The thermostat went bad when we were traveling in California. Caused check engine lite to come on. Estimate for repair in Fullerton, CA at a Pep Boys was over $600. Actual cost of repair with an oil change in Surprise, AZ was less than $350.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012