Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

engine noise - possible oil pan area

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tmcintire, May 1, 2010.

1. tmcintire

tmcintire New Member

have 2004 z71 with 5.3 L motor, bought new, extremely well maintained. Never over 3 k miles between oil changes...Have engine clicking noise, and almost sounds like a chirp, or metal barely rubbing against metal, in flywheel area...mostly sounds like in oil pan area. Noise just started....gets a little quieter when engine warmed up...but still very noticable. Not the clatter most people complain about that sounds like lifter noise. Could it be oil pump noise, or something loose in lower crankcase ? - The ticking or chirping noise does increase on acceleration. - Need your input or ideas.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had the Same Sound......2 weeks ago,My first thought was the Fly Wheel......But turned out to be the Starter....the gears in the starter were not Disengaging after Start up and the sound was only there went on the gas.......put in New Starter,No more sound.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  3. detailjohn

detailjohn Rockstar 100 Posts

You may want to change your oil and filter. Maybe filter is blocking some oil flow....:neutral:

4. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I had a weird chirping sound thought maybe water pump alternator ??? well when I smelled the tell tale burning rubber smell I found my idler pulley had now seized.