1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Engine oil cooler Delete

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Jun 24, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

time to change oil again.

like most people with the Gen. 2 small blocks I got fed up with the sideways mounted tiny oil filter and leaking lines, so I just deleted it for the Gen. 1 style PH filter
    frm-hp4_ml.jpg
    this gives much better filtration & can hold more dirt.

but has anyone else done this and found one filter overall performs better than others?

(p.s. by deleting the side mount filter, I can now fill the fill the vertical filter before I install it. so the engine fires up with fresh oil instantly. no dry delay)

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm actually considering adding an oil cooler onto my Suburban. I have a vertical filter on my engine. My cousin has a 93 Suburban he's scrapping that had the factory filter adapter that bolts to the block where the filter goes and drops the filter down an inch or two. I'm considering using that adapter with custom hoses and cooler to add cooled oil. Do you have a pic of your adapter assembly?

3. K15 Blazer Guy

no
    its in the parts chest somewhere
    you may be best to get an oil filter relocation kit, and plumb the filter in-between the cooler and the adapter... but simple is best. you really don't need an oil cooler with these trucks. changing the oil regularly is best, and cheapest

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well I'm doing it in the interest of ensuring the longevity of the engine while towing. A filter relocation kit was the original plan, but the factory adapter more or less fell in my lap. The filter relocation kit is desirable for me because then I can get a filter base that accepts a Ford filter like the rest of my filters do and then I only have to stock 1 filter.

5. K15 Blazer Guy

the only thing to slightly protect the engine from towing will be a good fan for sitting in traffic, and good transmission & torque converter to overcome the stop to start inertia.

its so obvious the guy that owned my truck before, towed; because it has a manual with a 3 prong clutch, and very worn clearances.... basically had nothing to absorb the hard yank in first gear to get the trailer moving.

6. runsdeep0826

runsdeep0826 New Member

Imo the best filter is wix or k&n is the truck a Vortec? Cooler delete is a good idea
    For better oil pressure reasons there's a t.s.b on these engine explain incorrect bearing tolerance on the last journal where the pump is....some result in bearing knock with 100k!