Engine oil cooler lines

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mjlatheo@cox.net, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mjlatheo@cox.net

mjlatheo@cox.net New Member

I have 1998 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 with the 5.7 engine. Engine oil cooler lines seem to be leaking oil a little. First question, do these have a history of failing? Second, is it hard to install the upper and lower oil cooler lines ?

Thanks
    Mike

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have heard they can be problematic. Mine are weeping on the Tahoe, the truck looks ok for now. I suspect you will want to purchase prebent units from the dealer, but I'm not sure.

3. Jibber

Jibber New Member

They are prone to start leaking at some point during the lifespan of your truck. One other solution is to eliminate your engine oil cooler lines all together by swapping the oil filter adapter to one that doesn't support oil cooler lines, like I did on my Suburban. The GM parts number for the alternate adapter is 3952301. It should be the only part you'll need as the oil filter will then seal directly to the block instead of the adapter. The adapter is much cheaper, at $62, than both oil cooler lines at close to $300.

The cooler in the radiator is fine as is, you shouldn't need to plug it or anything. I wouldn't flush it out because the oil in the cooler will stop the internals of the cooler from rusting should you want to put the stock lines back in it.

Just my 2 cents,