1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Engine Oil Cooler

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by asanford, Dec 12, 2009.

1. asanford

asanford New Member

I have a old 1991 Chevy Silverado 350 4X4 3/4 ton.
    The parts store advised I can plug the oil line ports on the oil filter adapter.
    I plan to eliminate the oil cooler, I don't see the need for it, and the corrosion is killing the old girl.
    If using this method, to eliminate the oil cooler will it starve the oil somewhere? They advised this can't be done to a Vortec, but my old truck it's a common by pass method.
    Taking off the quick connector adapters, and screw in brass plugs.
    Anybody got comments?

2. barneyfife912a

barneyfife912a New Member

I really don't see there being a problem with capping the oil lines off. There is no sensor or anything running to it. Just means that your engine will be running on hot oil instead of cooled off oil. But be sure to watch your temp gauge or idiot lights. Cuz if it does some thing screwy, you'll want to hook it back up. Just my 2 cents.