1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Oil this Winter??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Alaskan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

Winter is here!! I'm wondering what works for you guys?
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

If you live in Fairbanks, stick with 5w30 for gasoline, 10w30 for diesel.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

Thanks

So I'm thinking like Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic?
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

5W-30 is preferred but I would recommend a 0W-30 for better cold weather starts. check out AMSOIL's Signature Series Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil on my website. I have tons of customers that run this year round and love the fuel milage gains they get running it.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I run 5W30 here in MN where we get into the minus 40s during the winter. I know you all plug in your vehicles up there in Alaska as we do here in MN to, which also helps with cold starts.
    the 0W30 ive never heard of
  6. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

M1 makes a 0W-20 and 0W-30. Listed for economy reasons. But it makes sense in extreme cold. That has been around a long time in Europe.
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't recommend such a thin weight, unless you've got a European sports car. :)