1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine over heating

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by loic, Jun 30, 2011.

1. loic

loic New Member

on my 99 tahoe, the temp gauge started to pass the 210 mark by 2 or 3 lines then go back to 210 and does it again and again. I had the cooling system flush, I changed the thermostat, the radiator cap and the temperature sensor but it still does the same thing...
    a couple months ago it was the opposite, the temp gauge wouldnt pass the 1/4 mark.
    I do not loose coolant.
    I am wondering it the guage itself is the problem, is there a way to check the real temp so I can compare it to the guage ?
    yesterday I used a infrared themometer and checked from the thermostat housing, then I checked from one of the small hose on top of the water pump (while having the heater full on) the maximum temp I read was 185F while on the dash it showed 3 bar past 210F)
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

If you got 185 F with the IFR gun at the stat then I think your engine is safe & you have a guage problem. If Mike (99"HEARTBEAT) doesn't see this thread & reply to it, then look up his thread on guages/stepper motors.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you know someone with a scanner hook it up and look at the coolant temp. I found with my '05 Z-71 the temp gauge says 210 degrees, but when I hook up my Diablo Preditor to the truck and view the live data the temps is 185-190 degrees.
    1 person likes this.
  4. loic

loic New Member

didnt think about the scanner, I have one so I'll check it !! thx
    the only thing I'm worry about is that sunday I have to go to Los angeles airport from vegas to go pick up my kids and then come back to vegas. I cant afford to break down on the side of the HWY on that day.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

I just scan it here are the result :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and then a bit later

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

maybe 30 seconds after it showed 194F on the scanner the temp went down to 180 something.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

I wouldn't worry about it, the scanner says its running cool. Mine does the same thing.
  6. loic

loic New Member

ok, cool. do you know if there is a fix for the gauge ?
  7. silveradotrailblazer

I know alot of people send them off for repairs. Theres a pop-up on this site called d-d instruments. Becareful of these "cheap" priced repair companies on e-bay and other places. They use old, outdated parts or even junk yard parts.
  8. loic

loic New Member

ok, thanks for the info !!
  9. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

10. loic

loic New Member