Engine Performance

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Mizzike, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mizzike

Mizzike New Member

I have an 02 Silverado 5.3 liter with a K&N FIPK2 Filter and a Flowmaster exhaust system and I would like to more to her along the lines of performance and fuel economy im planing on getting a superchip but I still dont know what more I could do to the engine.

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Intake and exhaust are always good. You may consider an aftermarket MAF sensor. I've heard some people get a little better performance with a little added MPG as well. I know Jet and Granatelli make some for your truck. Performance plugs and wires couldn't hurt either. You may also look into a custom tune instead of a Superchip. I will leave explanations of that to other guys on here with custom tune experience ;-) Good luck!

3. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you lookin for a little economy which most people today are a custom tune or hand held programmer should be your next step. I've got the Hypertech Max Energy and I love it. It's already paid for itself and I've only had it like 6 months. What gears do you have and what kind of driving do you do ( City, Highway).
    Headers are great for performance. My buddy has an 06 with Gibson Shorties and he loves them. Some other great mods are New Plugs and Wires and maybe some new Dual Electric Fans. Is there a budget your trying to stay in. Most people do it Part by Part and If I had to pick 3 for yeah I'd Probly go, Tune, Headers, and E-Fans. Tune's will run you 350-450 bucks. Headers go for about 400+ install and E-fans go for about 400 bucks. Hope this helps a little.

4. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Also if you have no budget you can always to a turbo or supercharger...alot of the guys will tell you to look into STS for there turbos..and there are alot of good superchargers but they get pretty pricy!