1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine "Ping"

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by cperez8, Nov 19, 2009.

1. cperez8

cperez8 New Member

Purchased a 2009 Silverado Crew Cab back in May of this year. I've noticed a "pinging" sound sometimes when I start my truck but mostly when I'm cruising at 1500rpm. I've talked a buddy about this and he said he was told it was common and it could be the type of fuel I've been using. I use Chevron Unleaded but I was told to use a higher grade to see if this helps.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Could be a bad knock sensor. Higher octane could help, but that's more expensive than a knock sensor. Any DTC codes?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

GM recommends premium fuel be run in all their new cars and trucks.
    We had the same problem with my wifes 08 HHR.
    Pinging can be harmful to the engine, in extreme cases it can damage the cylinder heads.
  4. cperez8

cperez8 New Member

Thanks. I'll start putting High Octane fuel in my truck.
  5. cperez8

cperez8 New Member

Just got back from Vegas. I filled up with 91 before I left to and from Vegas. Same "pinging" noise.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

the octane shouldnt be the problem, all new engines can adjust for that on there own, i have never seen anything about a truck needing premium, if thats the case why would anyone buy a truck. higher octane is now more for supercharged and tubrboed cars, not even the direct injection engines "require" premium gas it helps but not needed. I would look at the quality of gas you are putting in it, and its 09 take it to the dealership it has a warranty
  7. Waldo Castellanos

Waldo Castellanos New Member

if i go from 93 to 87 it pings like there is no tomorrow but still getting some pining with 93 just like the original post states