Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

engine question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 1990burb, May 11, 2010.

1. 1990burb

1990burb New Member

hi my names matt im new to this site and have a quick question i have a 1990 suburban 1500 350ci tbi i bought it about 5 months ago and its been sitting im finally getting time for it and went to change the oil i got the 5 qts of oil recomended for it and the oil filter(ph3980) which is a fram the book says and the local parts store says is needed and when i went to take my old one off and noticed a big size diff so i called the parts store back and game them the part number off the old filter and it was the oil filter that goes on the 454(7.4l) so i went and got the new fram filter(ph5) and it worked fine but now it takes 6 qts of oi.l is it possible that someone swapped the oil filter housing out to a bigger one and why if possible would they do this or idid someone swap the motor for a 454 and how do i tell

2. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Anything is possible but my 91 does use a PH5 filter and holds 6 QTS. you should be able to tell by the trans. i believe you should have a 700r trans. to tell look at the number of bolts and for the cover. if you do have a 700r i would bet solid money that you have a 5.7L 350. The 454's did not come with the 700r trans.

0012.jpg

0009.jpg

here are a couple of attachments that may help you.

Good luck