Engine Rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by travieso1, Jan 14, 2007.

1. travieso1

travieso1 New Member

Is it normal for my engine to rattle? I have an '06 5.3L 4x2 Crew Cab. I just noticed the engine rattles it has 5700 mile on it. I don't seem to happy, my younger brother works for at Chevy Dealer Shop, he says it's normal but has yet to actually listen to it. My older brother has an '01 Tahoe w/the 5.3, and his engine rattle as well, but more than mine. Can anyone advise me before wasting my time in the Chevy Dealer shop just so they tell me, it's okay, it's normal. They did w/my '05 Malibu....
    Thanks guys/gals!

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Is this just at startup or at other times?

My cousin had one that did just that and the dealer kept telling him it was OK.

When I listened to it, it not only did it at startup but also under load. Not a good thing under load, or when letting off on the gas.

Also what is your oil pressure like, at startup, after warming up, and at idle at a light?

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It would be a good idea to identify the source of the 'rattle'. Noisy valvetrain can be irritating, but usually not a problem if your oil pressure is good. Rattle from an engine pinging can be serious. Belt tensioners, and muffler sheilding are another source of noise. Hope your rattle isn't the sign of something serious.

4. bigbass140

bigbass140 New Member

my dad has a 2001 1500 hd with the 6.0 and it does it on start up and under a load, and the dealer said it was because of the soild lifters. also i have a 2006 1500 crew and it does the same thing so since none of the dealers can really give good answers i gave up and just live with it.

5. alwaysmessedup

alwaysmessedup New Member

hello i work at a gm dealership, and yes all the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 do have slight rattle do to the forged pistons. that is what gm tells us. hope this helps. i have a 02 seirra 1500 with a 5.3 with 104000 miles and on start up mine almost sounds like there is major damage inside but theres nothing wrong. sounds funny i dont really like the idea myself.

6. ChevyTech

ChevyTech Rockstar

HI, I worked for GM and what the previous poster said is correct. It has to do with what the "Techline" guy called ovaling of the covering on the forged piston. I have an 06 1500 with around 11,500 miles on it and a 5.3. It to suffers from the ticking sound. I serviced about 25 trucks a week durring the cold months with this exact issue. Now, what the GM bulletins and techline told me kind of sounds like a put off until they have a fix. Anybody who has worked for "Gunky Motors" will tell you however, chances are GM doesn't know what causes it either. I found that warming my truck up instead of driving it off cold shortens the duration of the noise. Also if noise occurs under load that is not normal, if that happens go to the dealer. We had a few come in that were junk engines and they tried to say it was normal. Hope this helps.

7. Canada

Canada New Member

Its just the pistons rattling around....I think they shortened the piston skirt myself...at least, longer ones would help out...but, you need short skirts for stroke clearance.

Ever hear a 8100 in the morning? Its just a stroked 7.4 (even shorter skirts)....

8. fdxorf

fdxorf New Member

no oil pressure on startups

I have a 1999 Silverado with 112,000 miles. In the past year I have noticed that on cold startups, It takes the oil pressure 15 to 30 seconds to come up to normal pressure. I hear major clanking before the pressure builds up. I have changed the oil religiously every 4,000 miles. It seems a little better right after the change but after about a month its back to the 15 to 30 seconds with no oil pressure.....Any ideas????

9. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

weak oil pump?

10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

what oil filters have you been using ? what is the oil viscosity ?

engine temp is too high. should be 200deg f. and not vary.