ENgine Rebuild.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by L0sts0ul, Feb 19, 2007.

1. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, I am sure you are tired of answering this question, but I just wanna know.

I need to rebuild my engine and transminsion. I am sure the tranny is a 4L60-E and I know for sure its a 350.

Should I just get a rebuilt and drop it in for the engine, and what should I expect to pay for a tranny rebuild?

thanks for the help.

Soul

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

383 for low end torque.

Personally I would go with a crate engine. One that would run on pump gas. The last tranny r&r I did was a 904 behind a 318. Since then if it had serious tranny trouble, it was off to the car lot for a new ride. If the transmission on my burb went I would definitely have it rebuilt. I always liked TCI tranny's in the drag cars. Their powerglides were indestructible. As far as engines, I have my eye on something like the Chevrolet's 383. 400ft/lbs of torque at 2500rpm awsome!:biggrin:
    [​IMG]

3. L0sts0ul

I can't really afford a crate motor, but I Think I Can get a rebuilt longblock for about 1g, and the tranny I duno about yet.

I just bought this truck for 4g a few days ago, already did exhaust, tint, and ordering aftermarket stuff... heeheh

oh yeah... those are CAD dollars btw

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say that it comes down to which can you invest more of, time or money. (Of course a normal rebuild shouldn't take as long as mine has.):redface:

I cannot invest as much $$, but I've got lots of time, so I opted for rebuilding my engine myself. Like Unplugged I would rebuild my trans myself. Mine is the 4L80E, and I don't think I could find a better one unless I got my hands on an Allison.

If I had the $$ at my disposal, I would have converted the 'burb to a Duramax w/Allison trans.

The rebuilt long block does seem like an appealing option. But I personally enjoy the satisfaction of doing the job myself.

5. L0sts0ul

I agree with the safisfaction part, however with my job and family and the fact that my truck is a daily driver, I have a max down time of 3 days unless arragements are made ya know?

the rebuilt is basically a new motor with a 50,000 km warranty even if I instal it myself...

6. TrailLeadr

That's not bad. It's like a new vehicle warranty. About 34k miles for those of us in the states.

You probably should go with the rebuilt, since you have time constraints.
    If you're rebuilding, you don't quite know what you're getting into until your into it. I honestly thought I was only going to rebuild the block, but once I started to get ready to do some very basic head work, replace springs, rocker arms, stem seals. I noticed that the valves were all gummed up around the intake bowls.
    At that point I figured since I've got some cleaning to do, I may as well port, and polish too.

7. brokenfingers

brokenfingers New Member

Hey sorta new here, but I've got a similar problem... engine is burning coolant. I'm thinking I've got a crack in the block somewhere as I can't figure out where else the coolant could be disappearing to. Transmission is pretty tired as well. I just picked up this rig... its a 1995. Now I'm thinking I'm just going to bite the bullet and have them both rebuilt... but is their a diesel conversion for it with the Allison transmission that could be just bolted right in? Would it be worth the extra costs... especially since the price of diesel seems to be so high these days.

8. TrailLeadr

Welcome to the site.

Probably the easiest way would be to see check around for a wrecked pickup with a diesel, and Allison. With either a little $$ or a little time, just about anything could be made to fit.

Let us know what you decide to do.

1 person likes this.
  9. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So true! I had a customer who insisted on swapping a 383 Mopar into his 67 Mustang!:eek:

10. brokenfingers

brokenfingers New Member

Thanks guys I will, Its been said that its going to cost more than the vehicle is worth, I should just not throw good money after bad. I dunno, I really like this thing, for a '95 its really clean. I'll be taking it too a mechanic tomorrow and have them go over it and see what they recommend. Thanks guys, will let you know.

1 person likes this.