engine running rough part 2.....different case [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 97bigredburban, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. is it possible that having too much air in your brakes can cause your vehicle engine to run differently while its in an idle position? i mean i can drive my truck all day , it runs and drives great, its only when i come to a stoplight(whenever im at a still position).it really didnt start acting this way until i filled my brake fluid reservoir, because i noticed that it gotten low.and just yeserday my service engine soon light appeared....any input would e greatful.

2. ^^^^i forgot to mention that since i filled my brake fluid reservoir.......i have too much air in my brake lines could it be the reason???

3. Charna

Charna New Member

Two different systems. one should have no effect on the other. I found with my chevy that I get this problem with certain gas stations, crappy gas syndrome is what I call it. Or possibly your timing is slightly off.

4. Charna

Charna New Member

My husband who knows SO much more about vehicles than I, tell me it is possible for low brake fluid to cause your truck to run rough. He indicated if there is a hole in the diaphram in the brake booster, then brake fluid could be leaking into the engine through vacumn line. You would not notice the brake fluid in the oil because it would burn up quickly. You may want to keep an eye on that brake fluid to see if you keep loosing it....

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That would be a new one, but I suppose it could make sense as it would be a vaccum problem.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It's likely that you could get oil into the brake booster. But if that were the case, you would have dimished braking, since fluid would be oozing past the seals in the master cylinder. Not to mention for it to affect the engine like that it would probably suck the brake resivoir dry in a day or two. In which case the more important issue would be to get your master cylinder repaired. On the other hand, some 'burbans were made with a hydro-boost brake assist, which does not use the vacuum of the engine, and would have no effect on the engine performance. If you do not see the typical brake booster when you look under the hood, or you see hoses that run from the power steering pump to the brake booster, then you have hydro-boost.

Bottom line, you should have your brakes bled ASAP, since having air in the lines, is dangerous to you, your passengers, and those around you.

I think you're dealing with two separate situations.

7. problem solved.....got my brakes bled yesterday, think i got a hold of some bad gas somewhere. but the truck is running alot better when i come to idled stops. thanks for the input guys.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Glad to hear it! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.