Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Engine runs rough RPM's jump like it want to downshift

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by rminiger, Jun 21, 2005.

1. rminiger

rminiger New Member

I have a 96 tahoe that has been running rough off and on. Traveling @ 45-55 light on the accelerator with little to no load/strain the engine "bucks" and the RPM's jump a couple hundred then returns back down to where it was. Occasionally the service engine light comes on. Sometimes it doesn't. Been to the dealer 3 times for a diagnostic. Nothing identified.

Almost acts like it is trying to downshift.

Any advice?

2. ARNIE

ARNIE Rockstar

Some of these issues are hard to daignose online, especially when you cannot get a code. My first thought though is a tranny issue. I would suggest you go to a good transmission shop and let them have a look at the prindle switch. As well, a bad torque converter and several other things could cause that. I would hate to see you just start replacing parts at a big cost and still not have the issue resolved, that is why I am suggestiong a tranny shop.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just curious if there is an update for this issue?

4. Robbiev

Robbiev Member

I had a similar problem in my 02 yukon. Tranny shop put a shift kit in and it fixed the problem. Some to do with the lockup gear not holding because the piston is aluminum and the case is steel. SHift kit installs a steel piston.

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How hard does the shift kit kick in when shifting?

6. Robbiev

Robbiev Member

It does not seem to bad to me. I have driven other tahoe's and yukon's and it feels pretty much the same.

7. ChevyFan

Well, they are smoother than they used to be. My Suburban has a shift kit, and it kicks hard if the RPMs are up high enough. Like getting kicked by a mule.